At present, very little is known about Parkinson’s and studies unveiling factors contributing to the disease, or biomarkers of the disease are necessary. The Parkinson’s Disease Research being conducted at the Perron Institute aims to:
- Study how genes, treatments, the environment and clinical features influence the cause progression and course of Parkinson’s;
- Identify early biomarkers of Parkinson’s, underlying risk factors influencing cognitive decline and impulse control disorders in Parkinson’s and study how the environment and gut microbiota influence the cause and progression of Parkinson’s;
- Study patient demographics and possible underlying risk factors influencing the cognitive decline and/or development of impulse control disorders in Parkinson’s;
- Create a bio-bank of Parkinson’s patient data and control data for future researchers and research methods.
- Maintain the Parkinson’s Disease Registry.