Aoun SM, Stegmann R, Slatyer S, Hill K, Parsons R, Moorin R, Bronson M, Walsh D, Toye C (2018). A nurse-delivered hospital discharge intervention supporting family caregivers of older people: Potential translation into practice. BMJ Open 2018;0:e022747. doi:10.1136/ bmjopen-2018-022747
Hilbers J, Rankin-Smith H, Horsfall D, Aoun S (2018). “We are all in this together”: Building capacity for a community-centred approach to caring, dying and grieving in Australia. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare Vol 6 Issue 4 pp 685-692.
Aoun SM and Ewing G (2018). Caring for Informal Carers. In B. Johnson, N. Preston, & C. Walshe (Eds.), Palliative nursing: Principles and evidence for practice (3rd ed.). Berkshire, England: Open University Press.
Breen, L. J., & Aoun, S. M. (2018). Bereavement care. In B. Johnson, N. Preston, & C. Walshe (Eds.), Palliative nursing: Principles and evidence for practice (3rd ed.). Berkshire, England: Open University Press.
Aoun SM (2018). The Palliative Approach to Caring for Motor Neurone Disease: From Diagnosis to Bereavement. European Journal for Person centered Healthcare Vol 6 Issue 4 pp 675-684.
Hogden A, Aoun SM, Silbert P (2018). Palliative care in neurology: integrating a palliative approach to ALS care. European Medical Journal Neurology. 6:68-76.
Aoun SM. Lowe J, Christian K, Rumbold B (2018). Is there a role for the funeral service provider in bereavement support within the context of compassionate communities? Death Studies DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2018.1506835
Aoun SM. Breen LJ, White I, Rumbold B, Kellehear A. (2018). What sources of bereavement support are perceived helpful by bereaved people and why? Empirical evidence for the Compassionate Communities approach. Palliative Medicine 32(8) 1378–1388 DOI: 10.1177/0269216318774995
Shahid S, Taylor E, Cheetham S, Woods J, Aoun S, Thompson S. (2018). Key features of palliative care service delivery to Indigenous peoples in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States: a comprehensive review. BMC Palliative Care 17:72 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-018-0325-1.
Halkett G, Wigley C, Aoun S, …..Spry N. (2018). International validation of the EORTC QLQ-PRT20 module for assessment of quality of life symptoms relating to radiation proctitis: a Phase IV study. BMC Radiation Oncology 13:162 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-018-1107-x
Sewtz C, Muscheites W, Kriesen U, Grosse-Thie C, Kragl B, Panse J, Aoun S, Cella D, Junghanss C. (2018). Questionnaires measuring quality of life and satisfaction of patients and their relatives in a palliative care setting— German translation of FAMCARE-2 and the palliative care subscale of FACIT-Pal. Ann Palliat Med. doi: 10.21037/apm.2018.03.17
Aoun SM, Hogden A, Kho L (2018). “Until there is a cure, there is care”: A person-centered approach to supporting the wellbeing of people with Motor Neurone Disease and their family carers. European Journal of Person Centered Healthcare, vol 6, issue 2. pp 320-328.
Breen L, Aoun S, O’Connor M, Halkett G (2018). Family Caregivers’ Preparations for Death: A Qualitative Analysis. J of Pain and Symptom Management. Vol 55, No 6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2018.02.018
Aoun S, Slatyer S, Toye C, Robinson A, Beattie E. (2018). A person-centred approach to family carer needs assessment and support in dementia community care in Western Australia. Health and Social Care in the Community.DOI:10.1111/hsc.12575
Aoun S, Ewing G, Grande G, Toye C, Bear N (2018). The impact of supporting family caregivers before bereavement on outcomes after bereavement. J of Pain and Symptom Management, vol 55 No2, 368-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2017.09.023
Breen L, Christian K, Aoun S. (2018). The role of religious and spiritual beliefs in explaining prolonged grief symptomatology. Death Studies doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2018.1469054
Aoun SM, Breen LJ, O’Brien M, O’Connor Margaret (2018). “The shock of diagnosis”: qualitative accounts of people with Motor Neurone Disease reflecting the need for more person-centred care. J of the Neurological Sciences, 387, 80-84.
- Lauren J. Breen, Michelle D. Karangoda, Robert T. Kane, Denise A. Howting & Samar M. Aoun (2017): Differences in meanings made according to prolonged grief symptomatology, Death Studies, DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2017.1328467
- Aoun SM, Rumbold B, Howting D, Bolleter A, Breen LJ (2017). Bereavement support for family caregivers: The gap between guidelines and practice in palliative care. PLoS ONE 12(10): e0184750. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0184750.
- O’Connor Margaret, Aoun S, Breen L (2017). Australian family carer responses to the experience of a loved one receiving a diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease – ‘our life has changed forever”. Health and Social Care in the Community.DOI: 10.1111/hsc.12541.
- Burton, E., Slatyer, S., Bronson, M., Nichols, P., Quested, E., Hill, A., Maher, S., Aoun, S., Hill, KD., Kuno, Y., Toye, C (2017). Development and pilot testing of the ‘Focus on the Person’ form: Supporting care transitions for people with dementia, Dementia: the international journal of social research and practice, accepted 15 September 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1471301217736594
- Halkett, G. K. B., Short, M., Aoun, S., Joseph, D., Bydder, S., Meng, X., & Spry, N. (2017). What pelvic radiation disease symptoms are experienced by patients receiving external beam radiotherapy and a high-dose-rate brachytherapy boost for prostate cancer? Journal of Contemporary Brachytherapy, 9(5), 393-402. doi:10.5114/jcb.2017.70731
- Hemsworth, D., Baregheh, A., Aoun, S., & Kazanjian, A. (2017). A critical enquiry into the psychometric properties of the professional quality of life scale (ProQol-5) instrument. Applied Nursing Research, 39, 81-88. doi:10.1016/j.apnr.2017.09.006
- Hogden A, Foley G, Henderson R, James N, Aoun S (2017). Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: improving care with a multidisciplinary approach. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare. 10 205–215
- Breen, L. J., Aoun, S. M., Rumbold, B., McNamara, B., Howting, D., & Mancini, V. (2017). Building community capacity in bereavement support: Lessons learnt from bereaved former caregivers. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 34, 275-281.
- Aoun, S., Slatyer, S., Deas, K., & Nekolaichuk, C. (2017). Family caregiver participation in palliative care research: Challenging the myth. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 53 (5) 851-860. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2016.12.327
- Aoun S, Breen L, Edis R, Henderson R, Oliver D, Harris R, Howting D, O’Connor M, Birks C. (2017). Family carers’ experiences of receiving the news of a diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease: A national survey. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 372; 144-151. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2016.11.043.
- Aoun, S.M., Deas, K., Kristjanson, L.J. and Kissane, D.W. (2017) ‘Identifying and addressing the support needs of family caregivers of people with motor neurone disease using the Carer Support Needs Assessment Tool’, Palliative and Supportive Care, 15(1), pp. 32–43. doi: 10.1017/S1478951516000341.
- Wilson, S., Toye, C., Aoun, S., Slatyer, S., Moyle, W. & Beattie, E. (2017). Effectiveness of psychosocial interventions in reducing grief experienced by family carers of people with dementia: A systematic review. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports. 15(3) 809-839. doi: 10.11124/JBISRIR-2016- 003017