The Perron Institute, formerly the Western Australian Neuroscience Research Institute, is a medical research institute focusing on neurological conditions. It brings together a dedicated group of researchers and clinicians, many pre-eminent in their fields.
The Perron Institute has a long tradition spread over 35 years of scientific innovation and discovery. This has led to major breakthroughs in our understanding of the origins of neurological disorders and provided insights into the diagnosis and treatment of this debilitating group of diseases. The Perron Institute continues to inspire, training the next generation of researchers though the supervision of graduate and postgraduate students.
The list of the Perron Institute’s research areas are:
- Molecular Therapies Research – including US FDA approved Duchenne muscular dystrophy research
- Nucleic Acid Therapeutics Research
- Motor Neurone Disease Genetics and Therapeutics Research
- Stroke Research
- Neurotrauma Research – which includes Preventing Spreading Damage after Neurotrauma Research and Spinal Cord Repair Research
- Brain Plasticity Research
- Demyelinating Diseases Research – which includes research on conditions such as multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Myositis Research
- Parkinson’s Research
- Restorative Neurology Research which includes Rehabilitation
- Clinical Psychology Research
- Neuropathology Research
Student opportunities and career opportunities become available at the institute, so check the pages periodically for updates.